Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Single Self Behavior

So day one of the Awkward Challenge, is basically complete. This is largely because I am home from the office & back from the gym and I do not plan on leaving my apartment for the rest of the night due to pure lameness & exhaustion. However, my poor roommate might have to suffer the consequences of the awkward challenge, stay tuned for that one.

Anyway, I do not have much to report today. However, I did come to the understanding that this Awkward Challenge does not work for men, especially men my age. While I was running on the treadmill this guy entered the gym I let my eyes follow him as he walked to the bathroom, then he walked out, got a sip of water, and walked toward the machines (i'm still staring at this point). He then noticed I was not looking away so he smiled. I didn't smile, I just kept staring, he then waved, laughed and said hello. I became so uncomfortable that I looked away really fast and turned my music up, FAIL.

However, I decided to take a stab at the Awkward Challenge again, my next victim the boy next to me on the treadmill. My television on my machine was not working, so naturally my eyes glanced to the TV of the kid next to me, who was watching friends (it was a fantastic episode by the way). I kept watching and laughing along to the subtitles, he noticed and kept looking over at me... I did not stop laughing or stop watching. Mid-episode he changed the channel, I was very ticked and sighed he turned to me & asked.. "Is this channel okay, or should I put friends back?" I told him, I'd rather watch Friends but if he wanted to watch something else that was okay, he flipped it back, smiled and kept running... another fail (but at least I got to watch Friends).

Earlier in the day while leaving the office and sitting at a red light, I noticed a guy sitting in the car. I decided he'd be the perfect target for me to begin my solo staring contest with. I kept staring, he did not notice me... (by the way this red light is very long..) finally up pops his finger.. and where does it go? Into the nose. Yes, Ladies & Gentlemen Mr. Honda CRV was a nose picker. Naturally, the first thing he does while mid-pick is turn toward my car, he notices that I see him.. pulls his finger out quick & pretends he's scratching. So like any kind American driver, I gave him a thumbs up, laughed and drove off.

Mr. Nose Picker got me thinking about our Single-Self-Behavior. In Sex and the City this is described as what we do when we're alone and definitely not in front of people we are dating. Obviously, Mr. NP forgot that his car was located in a public place and his windows weren't tinted. I started thinking about the stuff I do when I am alone. For example, I like to listen to really embarrassing music in my car, really loud & sing along. Most of the time the music is bad 90's music: Spice Girls, Nsync, LFO, etc. or Musicals (no judgements) oh and then there is Bieber music.. OF COURSE. Do people see me when I do this? I also sometimes stare in the mirror and make weird faces... this is also done on my MacBook photo booth (again cast your judgements aside). Single Self Behavior is most often awkward, embarrassing and perfectly normal. Don't act like you don't have them.. I just had the courage to go public.

Future Awkward Situations: On Thursday, I am going to watch my friend get purchased at a date auction at Jonny's Hideaway (Cougar Heaven). While at Jonny's I plan on featuring myself in several Photo Bombs (jumping into group photos) and standing in the personal space of many people. Let's see how this one goes....

No comments:

Post a Comment